The idea of the establishment of a new congregation was conceived in
the hearts of the Westside Church of Christ, 25631 West Jefferson
Boulevard, Los Angeles, California in 1959. The Westside congregation,
until about 1950, had been of predominantly Japanese ancestry.
Christians of other races were welcomed there and worshipped in harmony
during the 1950s. Around 1959 and early 1960, some of the non-Japanese
members began to envision a multi-racial congregation for the Crenshaw
Daniel Davis and his wife, Judy, along with Philip and
Lois Wall, Ervin and Kay Bishop and Martha Lewis and others from the
Vermont Avenue congregation met with interested members of the Westside
congregation and made plans for the new work. The Crenshaw Community
Center building, 3820 Santa Rosalia Drive, was selected as a meeting
place. Worship services began there on Sunday, November 5, 1961.